From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:30:27
1 On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:19:52 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Is dracut still not widely used? I know that it was all the fashion
5 > for a decade or two for every distro to build their own initramfs, but
6 > I don't get why anybody wouldn't just make the switch - it is far more
7 > capable and configurable.
8
9 Does anyone know what most Gentoo users are doing these days? I don't
10 recall the handbook mentioning initramfs at all back in 2002 because it
11 wasn't really needed back then. I did without for years until I finally
12 put / on LVM. I used lvm2create_initrd for a while but that was still
13 quite a manual process and I couldn't imagine going back to it now.
14 I've switched to Dracut and it's great but I don't get the impression
15 that Gentoo really endorses that option over the more laborious ones.
16 Maybe it should?
17
18 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Initramfs
21 James Le Cuirot (chewi)