From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:19:59
1 On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > Systemd installs that go back into the initramfs at shutdown are rare because there is a
3 > hook for the initramfs to tell systemd that it should re-exec it and very few configurations
4 > do that. Even fewer that do it actually need it.
5
6 While I won't debate that it probably isn't strictly essential, dracut
7 handles unmounting root for systemd just fine (well, at least on
8 non-nfs - the version I'm using with an nfs root struggles in this
9 regard, though unclean shutdown on nfs with no files open probably
10 isn't really a problem).
11
12 Is dracut still not widely used? I know that it was all the fashion
13 for a decade or two for every distro to build their own initramfs, but
14 I don't get why anybody wouldn't just make the switch - it is far more
15 capable and configurable.
19 Rich