From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 03:02:30
1 On 02/17/2016 12:19 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Systemd installs that go back into the initramfs at shutdown are rare because there is a
4 >> hook for the initramfs to tell systemd that it should re-exec it and very few configurations
5 >> do that. Even fewer that do it actually need it.
6 >
7 > While I won't debate that it probably isn't strictly essential, dracut
8 > handles unmounting root for systemd just fine (well, at least on
9 > non-nfs - the version I'm using with an nfs root struggles in this
10 > regard, though unclean shutdown on nfs with no files open probably
11 > isn't really a problem).
12
13 Dracut handling it well is not up for dispute. When I checked last year,
14 dracut simply did not tell systemd to use this functionality because it
15 was unnecessary functionality that only served to slowed down the
16 shutdown process. It only enables it when a driver indicates an actual
17 need, which is the way that it should be.
18
19 > Is dracut still not widely used? I know that it was all the fashion
20 > for a decade or two for every distro to build their own initramfs, but
21 > I don't get why anybody wouldn't just make the switch - it is far more
22 > capable and configurable.
23
24 Not many Gentoo users use dracut. It does not handle kernel compilation
25 or bootloader configuration. It is definite ahead of genkernel in
26 networking though, but there is not much demand for that among users.