From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Installation of static libraries, USE=static-libs proposal
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:40:30
1 On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 15:40 +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > В Втр, 01/07/2008 в 05:05 +0300, Mart Raudsepp пишет:
3 > > Over a year or two ago, it was communicated that it supposedly a policy
4 > > that USE=static
5 >
6 > Well, I don't have web-reference at hand now, but there was a thread in
7 > gentoo-dev with the subject: "Say no to static libraries!". Summarizing
8 > some ideas from there:
9 >
10 > 1. Some packages will break if you build their deps with USE=static.
11 > This can be fixed when we start to use USE-deps in the tree.
12 >
13 > 2. We already have mechanism to make what you want. Just drop
14 > EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" into your make.conf and to workaround
15 > problem stated in point 1 use
16 >
17 > EXTRA_ECONF="${EXTRA_ECONF/--disable-static}"
18 >
19 > in /etc/portage/env/cat/pkg. (For those who interested list of packages
20 > for which I have to filter --disable-static is in attachment).
21
22 I'm going to simply drop the remaining USE=static's where appropriate,
23 if upstreams choice is to disable static libraries, and we'll see even
24 later what to do about those that don't default to not building static
25 libraries. For now I stumbled on just gtk-engines.
26
27 That is, some GNOME packages make it their own business to override the
28 automake default of building both - they call AM_DISABLE_STATIC.
29 So for those I'll just drop any --{enable,disable}-static (as I notice)
30 and honor upstreams choice in not building static libraries. This also
31 means nothing uses or needs the static libraries because all GNOME
32 tinderboxes and jhbuild based development machines would scream in agony
33 if it broke anything.
34
35 > Well, I'm using EXTRA_ECONF for more then year now and I'd like to say
36 > that it's not perfect solution. Not all packages are autotools based and
37 > ignore --disable-static and now I have 103M of static libs on my
38 > desktop. So now I'm all for having static-libs USE flag. But please,
39 > don't do that on per-package base. Make an eclass for that. Think about
40 > not-autotools packages, and don't put it in the tree until we start
41 > using USE deps.
42
43 I know of absolutely no GNOME package that needs its static libraries
44 installed. Only exception is glib, but that is a lower level library,
45 not a GNOME one - there we explicitly enable it for syslog-ng possible
46 use primarily. And for glib I'm quite cool in enabling it always, as my
47 take on glib is that it's a standard C library that makes C actually
48 usable and powerful, just as libstdc++ makes C++ more powerful, and
49 should be universally available to all. Though an alternative would be
50 to install it in /lib, so that boot tools can use it and not need to
51 link statically - having syslog-ng in mind primarily.
52
53 > Thanks for reiterating this discussion. I wanted to return to it soon as
54 > seems that USE deps are really about to enter our life.
55
56 And now I'm reiterating it again the first time since 3 months.
57
58 > And BTW, seems that all gnome packages obey EXTRA_ECONF ;)
59
60 And probably G2CONF too, but we like to use that for ebuild use only -
61 we aren't sure we have G2CONF="${G2CONF} foo" everywhere, etc.
65 Mart Raudsepp
66 Gentoo Developer
67 Mail: leio@g.o
68 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio