From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: stormbyte@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Better handling of USE flags to enable/disable system libraries
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:53:28
1 On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:43:10 +0200
2 David Carlos Manuelda <stormbyte@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I posted a bug about that along with a suggestion, despite sometimes I do not
5 > explain myself correctly (I am very sorry): bug #471590
6 >
7 > Many packages are bundling its own libraries rather than link against system
8 > ones, and there is a bug tracker for that (bug #251464)
9 > [...]
10 > What I propose for example, is a very good and simple approach: to have an
11 > option in portage's make.conf, something like that (the name may change):
12 >
13 > 1.- USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES="cairo sqlite XXX"
14 > 2.- USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES="* -cairo"
15 > 3.- USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES="*"
16
17 I don't think we should do it like this.
18
19 Bundling libraries is a pathological case. In general, we should work
20 on fixing this and getting rid of bundled libraries. In that general
21 case, the flags are not required.
22
23 The remaining cases usually involve libraries that are somehow forked
24 or otherwise deviated from upstream. For example, the sqlite within
25 Mozilla products has a few braindead features enabled that are not
26 really suitable for system-wide use.
27
28 In those cases, every library needs to be considered separately
29 and the concept of local flag matches that. Making it anyhow a global
30 matter would suggest that each bundled sqlite is equal and each reason
31 for bundling is exact the same.
32
33 That said, I don't see why a user would want to choose to have some
34 libraries bundled, and others not in a global manner.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny