From: Dan Podeanu <pdan@×××××××××××.net>
To: Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some portage related issues
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:09:19
1 Thank you Patrick.
2
3 Fyi, one example of crashes using gcc-3.3.2: creating a large amount of
4 files on a tmpfs filesystem (10.000 pictures) under constant load of 40+
5 will unvariably crash the box. With gcc-2.95.3 everything is fine and so is
6 with no load on the box.
7
8 I would report it as a 'bug' to LKML if I thought it was a bug. For now, I
9 only think I was not following their specs (ie. gcc 2.95.3). In my opinion,
10 if you run enterprise-level servers and kernels compiled with 3.x you're
11 doing something wrong(tm).
12
13 >From /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/Documentation/Changes
14
15 --------------------------
16 The recommended compiler for the kernel is gcc 2.95.x (x >= 3), and it
17 should be used when you need absolute stability. You may use gcc 3.0.x
18 instead if you wish, although it may cause problems. Later versions of gcc
19 have not received much testing for Linux kernel compilation, and there are
20 almost certainly bugs (mainly, but not exclusively, in the kernel) that will
21 need to be fixed in order to use these compilers. In any case, using pgcc
22 instead of egcs or plain gcc is just asking for trouble.
23
24 gcc 2.95.3
26 o <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz>
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list