From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part IIa.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:24:27
1 John Davis wrote:
2 > Good day everyone: First, I would like to thank all of those who have
3 > participated in this conversation, and lambaste those who have
4 > decided to start a flame war. In order for *anything* to get figured
5 > out, it is the latter that need time to discuss all avenues
6 > rationally.
7
8 Fair enough. ;)
11 > Step back for a minute and recognize the ramifications of those
12 > numbers. The product that we baby and work on is used by over a
13 > _quarter of a million_ people. Over a _quarter of a million_ people
14 > rely on our QA procedure for stable packages, our security, our
15 > openness. No matter what your political philosophy, this fact should
16 > awe you.
17
18 I think this is the crux of all our concern, all management and
19 organisational decisions revolve around QA, among other primary concerns
20 like architecture and so on.
21
22 My opinion is that QA procedures can be created without forming a
23 government of sorts, or creating a political landscape. There are
24 development cultures which succesfully separate the issues surrounding
25 architecture, financing and future directions within the distribution
26 from the QA process, by placing it on the outskirts of 'governance', and
27 I do think we would be wise to do the same.
28
29 > So how can me still deliver the same quality product to all of these
30 > people? Organization, rules, and voting, to name a few. I referenced
31 > Debian because they have an exceptional model that is in place and
32 > working. Yes, I know that Debian is not bleeding edge and their
33 > releases take forever. Think though, have you ever heard a complaint
34 > about Debian's stability, not only in Debian Linux, but in their
35 > management as well?
36
37 Debian may be stable, but Woody's sheer age really does indicate that
38 something is wrong with their development model. I don't imagine
39 suggesting a faster paced release model to their core developers would
40 be met with much openness, nor would it be put to a vote. FreeBSD and
41 RedHat, to name two, have live package build systems (ports/rawhide
42 respectively) and cut a release from these every four months on the dot
43 with impeccable QA. I don't think I could suggest such a thing to Debian
44 developers without being laughed out of the discussion.
45
46 Another member of the previous thread mentioned the Linux kernel, if
47 briefly. Look at how well it works in its development model. A core
48 group of members make decisions as to where the kernel will be in 1, 5,
49 10 years, and the rest of the process looks, to the outside world,
50 almost entirely haphazard. There is no need for constitutions or
51 elections or a legal department, and yet Linux is thriving and growing
52 at an extraordinary rate. And it has few enough QA problems that fortune
53 100 corporations use it!
54
55 It is my contention that the development culture *creates* the product.
56 I believe Debian is what it is now because of the way it is managed, and
57 Linux is what it is now because of the way *it* is managed.
58
59 If I seem staunchly opposed to introducing Debian concepts to Gentoo,
60 it's because I am. ;)
61
62 My intention though, is not to attempt to close the discussion. If
63 through the process an outcome can be reached which seems reasonable to
64 all sides, all the better.
65
66 Cheers,
67 Brad