From: "Martin
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part IIa.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:36:11
1 Brad Laue wrote:
2 > Debian may be stable, but Woody's sheer age really does indicate that
3 > something is wrong with their development model. I don't imagine
4 > suggesting a faster paced release model to their core developers would
5 > be met with much openness, nor would it be put to a vote. FreeBSD and
6 > RedHat, to name two, have live package build systems (ports/rawhide
7 > respectively) and cut a release from these every four months on the dot
8 > with impeccable QA. I don't think I could suggest such a thing to Debian
9 > developers without being laughed out of the discussion.
12 My impression is that the paralysis we've all seen in the Debian
13 community is due to two factors: 1) ridiculously inflexible rules
14 regarding free vs. non-free software and 2) a
15 we're-the-best-and-don't-need-to-change attitude. I've seen long and
16 apparently serious discussions on the Debian lists over whether gcc
17 should be removed from the main distro because the man pages aren't
18 released under a "free" license. I've seen hundreds (who knows,
19 thousands?) of posts describing problems with apt-get and deselect
20 dismissed cavilierly. In my opinion THAT is what's killing Debian - the
21 inability to distinguish worthwhile questions from intellectual
22 masturbation and the unwillingness to accept criticism. I don't see
23 either of these elements present in Gentoo now, and I don't see zhen's
24 proposals changing that.
25
26 As for the long time between Debian releases, it seems to me that trying
27 to support 10,000 packages on 11 architectures with "rock-solid
28 stability" is a big part of that. Again, I don't see anything in zhen's
29 proposal on that order of magnitude. Certainly, asking one attendee of
30 a meeting to dump a log to the website isn't going to slow development.
31
32 Heck, the glacial pace of Debian releases wouldn't even be a problem if
33 their upgrade system was robust. "Install the old version, then run
34 apt-get upgrade repeatedly until the conflicts go away" isn't
35 acceptable. Again, Gentoo does not suffer from this problem - it's
36 essentially a releaseless distro.
41 Stephen C. Martin
42
43 PGP/GnuPG key 1024D/8C4FCA5D