From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage: missing pieces
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:27:28
1 Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > > > The expectation here is that when a new version of gcc is
3 > > > stabilized, that users will upgrade to that in a reasonable amount
4 > > > of time, and use that (by selecting it with gcc-config) for
5 > > > compiling all new updates. FYI, gcc-3.4.4-r1 was stabilized on
6 > > > 2-Dec-2005, and the current stable is 3.4.6-r1 since May 29th.
7 > >
8 > > I don't see how that information is conveyed to the user.
9 >
10 > It's conveyed by the fact that when updating, you see a new compiler
11 > version being installed. If you have done a world update, you
12 > already have the later compilers installed.
13
14 No, that's not true. It's not conveyed at all.
15 It might install a new GCC, but it doesn't switch to it.
16 It doesn't tell the user to switch to it, either.
17
18 > As has been explained before, as far as the gcc ebuilds are
19 > concerned their job is finished when the new compiler version
20 > is installed. It is up to the user to decide to change their
21 > system compiler.
22
23 You seem to have missed the issue.
24
25 > > Yes, ok. That's a bad alternative. Thus it seems that there's no
26 > > appropriate mechanism to handle new GCC versions in Portage, which
27 > > again makes sense wrt. the complaints.
28 >
29 > Portage and the ebuilds handle it fine.
30
31 Same.
32
33 > All that needs to happen is for users to accept the advice to read
34 > the gcc upgrading guide when they trip over problems that arise
35 > from issues with gcc versions.
36
37 There's no advice, instead Portage crashes during a system update.
38
39 > > Nothing?
40 > > I find it unacceptable that the bug is marked INVALID when it clearly
41 > > describes a relevant issue.
42 >
43 > Don't take the bug marking as a personal attack
44
45 I don't, it's not my bug ;-).
46
47 > it's a marking for devs to understand what was the impact of the bug.
48
49 It's marked INVALID, while the issue is clearly valid.
50
51 > Focus on the advice given, which from what I can see was succinct
52 > and correct.
53
54 It shouldn't even be _necessary_ to create bugs and receive advice
55 from a living, breathing human being just to perform a system update.
56
57 > > As far as I can tell, the complaints are about Portage being unable to
58 > > handle GCC upgrades gracefully for end users.
59 >
60 > What exactly do you expect to happen? GCC updates don't switch major
61 > versions automatically, because in general it means changing ABI which
62 > means rebuilding everything.
63
64 Ah, that's a good question.
65
66 I think the proper reaction from Portage would be (both):
67 a) Alert the user that the newest version of package XYZ cannot be
68 merged because it needs a newer compiler than the currently
69 selected one.
70 b) Skip package XYZ, but continue updating the rest of the system.
71
72 Package XYZ could also block the update, that would be OK.
73
74 > Again, this is not a personal attack but information for devs
75 > to understand whether different work is needed for the different bugs.
76
77 Noone has mentioned personal attacks, so drop that train of thought.
78
79 You misread my point. I was trying to say that bugs describing problems
80 (with fx. Portage) in abstract will often get closed as a duplicate of a
81 bug where someone has experienced a particular incarnation of the
82 larger problem described.
83
84 That's a good way to make sure that relevant end user issues never
85 come into contact with the devs, which I'm sure is not what the
86 devs want.
87
88 > > > I suppose portage could be enhanced to have a
89 > > > is_gcc_version_supported() check, but I'm not sure how useful that
90 > > > would be.
91 > >
92 > > If that would enable ebuild maintainers to flag xine as requiring 3.4
93 > > for compilation, then that would definitely solve the issue described
94 > > in the bug. I'd say that's _very useful_ to the end user.
95 >
96 > The problem with having the xine ebuild check gcc version and aborting
97 > if a certain version is found active,
98
99 I don't think anyone would implement it that way, since that's braindead ;-).
100 Instead of checking a particular version, checking for a minimum
101 version would be the default available functionality.
102
103 > is that if the gcc version is modified in the future such that xine would
104 > then build with it, that handling would have to come out again.
105
106 In the (hysterically abstract) situation where someone revisits an old
107 version of GCC and adds GCC-4 features, nothing would break.
108
109 Users would still be told to upgrade to a newer version, and all would
110 be well, despite the fact that the old GCC with the backported feature
111 could now theoretically be used.
112
113 (But it's just trolling anyway, you're really describing a non-issue, IMHO.)
114
115 > Another way of looking at it, is that there are a lot of people out
116 > there who are coping just fine with GCC upgrades as they are currently
117 > managed.
118
119 Uh. What's your point?
120 That you're one of those people who hates change just because it's
121 change, or do you have something more relevant to say that I'm not
122 catching?
123
124 > See https://bugs.gentoo.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html - as far as devs
125 > are concerned, "The problem described is not a bug" so INVALID is the
126 > correct resolution marking.
127
128 "Not a bug" does not translate to "Not an issue".
129 You're practicing an extremely narrow view of what's a bug, and that's
130 fine - we'll just call it an issue instead.
131 Next step is to either
132 a) declare that the Gentoo Bugzilla is in fact an issue tracker, or
133 b) decide that problems which does not fit your narrow view of a
134 "bug" belongs on a mailing list.
135
136 Either way is fine, someone just needs to decide where more abstract
137 issues should be archived - in the bugzilla or in the mailing
138 list(s)'s archives.
139
140 In case of b), fields.html should be modified to
141 1) include your narrow view of what's-a-bug-and-what's-not (see
142 INVALID), the current description doesn't do.
143 2) tell people to take problems which doesn't fit that view to the
144 mailing list(s).
145
146 A good place to end this bug-or-not branch of the discussion which
147 you've delved into would IMHO be if you could create a good
148 description/explanation to use with bullet 1). I know it's not easy,
149 which is probably why most people go with something like solution a,
150 heh, but I'm sure it can be done with some hard thinking. It seems to
151 me that that's the only way to actually validate your point.
152 --
153 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list