From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP draf for cross-compile support in multilib profiles
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 21:40:16
1 On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
2 > Matt Turner schrieb:
3 >> I suppose that's just for ease of implementation? Not having to
4 >> special-case packages that don't install binaries.
5 >
6 > I dont follow. Did you think about only having additional ABI flags for
7 > certain cases?
8
9 Right. It seems to me that not having the ABI flags for packages like
10 x11-proto/* would make more sense, but may be more work to implement.
11
12 > Those ABI flags behave the same as other USE flags: When you change
13 > them, you have to recompile the package including all the content, that
14 > has been compiled previously.
15 > If you want the compile for each ABI seperate, then you would have to
16 > handle them more like SLOTS, but with a new syntax, with a collision
17 > handler for the common content and how to handle that in the user UI. I
18 > fear, that this would be way more complicated to implement in a sane
19 > way, so i dont plan to go that route.
20
21 Ouch. I already think a mechanism for telling the package manager "you
22 don't need to rebuild this entire package to turn on /this/ USE flag"
23 is needed. For ABIs, the situation seems much more clear-cut. In fact,
24 it seems rather important.