From: Eivind Tagseth <eivindt@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package USE documentation (from gentoo-doc)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:03:42
1 * Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com> [2003-12-08 18:31:16 -0800]:
2 > Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
3 >
4 > # emerge -pv packagename otherpackage
5
6 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
7 > [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/packagename-1.2.3-r4 +aaa -bbb -ccc
8 > [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/otherpackage-4.3.2-r1 +gnome -curses +cgi
9
10 > # emerge -pvv packagename otherpackage
11
12 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
13 > [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/packagename-1.2.3-r4 +aaa -bbb -ccc
14 > aaa - gives you aaa client support
15 > bbb - gives you bbb server support
16 > ccc - makes packagename do strange and unusual things with ccc"
17 > [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/otherpackage-4.3.2-r1 +gnome -curses +cgi
18 > gnome - adds gnome control center support
19 > curses - adds curses management support
20 > cgi - gives you management support via an installed CGI script
21
22 Looks really nice. I'm not sure if it changes the situation very much,
23 but I'm not too worried to start with. It _does_ encourage the user to
24 modify the flags per package which is something I'd only do in special
25 cases. What's really important to me in these cases is that when I
26 `emerge -u otherpackage', or `emerge -u world' and thereby upgrading
27 otherpackage, portage must _remember_ the USE flags I originally used
28 to emerge otherpackage. Otherwise I may suddenly find myself without
29 CGI support one day and the system will be broken.
33 Eivind
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list