From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package USE documentation (from gentoo-doc)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:31:55
1 Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
2 >
3 >> My suggestion is that the USE flags be overhauled to put some order
4 >> into it. Ideally, this would be done along the lines of Luke-Jr's
5 >> post. Hence, the above should be split into mysql-dev and mysql-user
6 >> or some such. The same could be done with the java USE flag.
7
8 This reminds me of the Redhat/Mandrake/etc. way of doing things, where
9 you have mysql-dev.rpm, mysql-client.rpm, mysql-server.rpm,
10 mysql-docs.rpm, etc. Does anyone else think exploding the use flags
11 into 5 times as many use flags is going to be a hassle? Sure, it'd be
12 nice when looking at individual cases, as mentioned, but when it comes
13 right down to it my USE "line" in make.conf is already 4 lines long.
14
15 > I whole-heartedly agree with the premise of "putting some order into
16 > it". I still think part of that needs to be some sort of clear
17 > documentation. 'mozilla +java' is pretty clear, but 'xfree +xml2' just
18 > says to me "why does xfree need xml2, what does it do for it, and what
19 > would happen if I didn't include it?". There needs to be some sort of
20 > clear descriptions (optimally per-package) that allow people to make
21 > informed decisions about which flags to include and which they can
22 > safely discard.
23
24 It seems to me that a far better approach is the idea of per-package use
25 flags, with some documentation in the package - so that something like
26 ``emerge -pvv packagename'' would show me not only which use flags are
27 in effect, but what they do to the package.
28
29 So, yes to better (i.e. per-package) documentation, but no to exploding
30 use flags 5 or 6 ways each.
31
32 For documentation, I suggest something like the following:
33
34 Inside abc-xyz/packagename-1.2.3-r4.ebuild:
35 ...
36 IUSE="aaa bbb ccc"
37
38 WHYIUSE="aaa - gives you aaa client support
39 bbb - gives you bbb server support
40 ccc - makes <package> do strange and unusual things with ccc"
41 ...
42
43 Then, when I, Gentoo User, run:
44
45 # emerge -pv packagename otherpackage
46
47 I'll see (nothing new):
48
49 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
50
51 Calculating dependencies ...done!
52 [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/packagename-1.2.3-r4 +aaa -bbb -ccc
53 [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/otherpackage-4.3.2-r1 +gnome -curses +cgi
54
55 "Ah, that's interesting," I think to myself "I wonder what the cgi use
56 flag does for 'otherpackage'?" So I run:
57
58 # emerge -pvv packagename otherpackage
59
60 and I see:
61
62 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
63
64 Calculating dependencies ...done!
65 [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/packagename-1.2.3-r4 +aaa -bbb -ccc
66 aaa - gives you aaa client support
67 bbb - gives you bbb server support
68 ccc - makes packagename do strange and unusual things with ccc"
69 [ebuild N ] abc-xyz/otherpackage-4.3.2-r1 +gnome -curses +cgi
70 gnome - adds gnome control center support
71 curses - adds curses management support
72 cgi - gives you management support via an installed CGI script
75 I think the above would be a VERY useful thing, at least once use flags
76 are sorted out - but the sorting out that needs to happen is making use
77 flags per-package, not to go in the direction of giving every package
78 its own set of use flags.
82 -- Jason Rhinelander
83 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
86 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list