From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package USE documentation (from gentoo-doc)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:54:56
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > I'm not sure anybody ('cept maybe Luke-Jr) got my point, so I'll try to be
3 > clearer. :-)
4 >
5 > On Tuesday 09 December 2003 02:50, Jason Stubbs wrote:
6 >
7 >>Hmmm, just looking through use.desc I couldn't really see any many other
8 >>flags that immediately sprang to mind as being as bad as the "java" one.
9 >>"mysql" is definately another candidate.
12 > "mysql" has a definition of "Adds mySQL support". My contention is that it is
13 > too general. Most users that would add this flag would be developers of sql
14 > stuff. Reading the definition and having knowledge of mysql, I would think it
15 > enabled support for mysql in things like tora. However, it also enables mysql
16 > support in packages totally unrelated to development such as postfix.
17 >
18 > My suggestion is that the USE flags be overhauled to put some order into it.
19 > Ideally, this would be done along the lines of Luke-Jr's post. Hence, the
20 > above should be split into mysql-dev and mysql-user or some such. The same
21 > could be done with the java USE flag.
22
23 I whole-heartedly agree with the premise of "putting some order into
24 it". I still think part of that needs to be some sort of clear
25 documentation. 'mozilla +java' is pretty clear, but 'xfree +xml2' just
26 says to me "why does xfree need xml2, what does it do for it, and what
27 would happen if I didn't include it?". There needs to be some sort of
28 clear descriptions (optimally per-package) that allow people to make
29 informed decisions about which flags to include and which they can
30 safely discard.
34 Joel Konkle-Parker

file:///tmp/nsmail-1.tmp application/pgp-signature