From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o: Killing VERIFIED state, possibly introducing STABILIZED
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:18:52
1 On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 06/17/2016 01:50 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> It might be better to just close the original bug, and then open a new
4 >> STABLEREQ bug on the tracker whenever we're interested in tracking
5 >> stabilization. That also serves as a reminder to the maintainer that
6 >> somebody actually wants it stabilized.
7 >
8 > This adds another layer of complexity and requires multiple
9 > depend/blocks specifications for a single user. I also question whether
10 > these stabilization requests would be created if the original devs
11 > aren't willing to call for stabilization themselves or leave the bug
12 > open so you have the history of the issue available for the
13 > stabilization, filtering it out based on keyword is easy to do in saved
14 > search.
17 Can you clarify what you mean by that?
18
19 If I have a tracker with 47 resolved blockers, how do I know which of
20 those made it to stable?
21
22 If I'm a maintainer and I resolve a bug, how do I know if I should
23 mark it resolved or not before it is stable?
24
25 If the bug is resolved but still needs to be tracked to stable, how
26 does anybody realize that bug is still out there and needs to be
27 marked as stable?
28
29 The problem is that tracking bugs to stable is not the normal process,
30 so if we want to do it we need to come up with some way to make it
31 obvious that it needs to be done. Or have some way to automate this
32 using data from the repository/etc.
33
34 Apologies if this email is a bit confusing. There are a couple of
35 proposals out there and I'm trying to address all of them - not all of
36 those questions will make sense for every proposal.
39 Rich