From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Foundation <-> Council was -> Nominations for council
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:55:58
1 On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 14:13 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 15:53 Fri 06 Jun , William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about.shtml
4 > >
5 > > "The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated
6 > > to supporting the FreeBSD Project."
7 > >
8 > > It's clear the that BSD Foundation is directly tied to the BSD project.
9 > > I am not sure what you are reading to thing otherwise.
10 >
11 > I looked through the articles of incorporation and the bylaws, under the
12 > documents section of their website. Nowhere is mentioned anything
13 > related to how the project itself is governed.
14
15 So we would be different from BSD in this regard. Are we trying to be
16 like others? Our current structure is unlike any others. Our entire
17 distro is unlike any other. So why are we trying to compare apples to
18 oranges?
19
20 Where is BSD's GLEP 39? Or where is their council talked about or
21 mentioned?
22
23 > It's very much a
24 > boilerplate template saying "we're a nonprofit related to computers, and
25 > that's about it."
26
27 Instead of all this speculation. Would you all like me to open a dialog
28 with the BSD folks and get details from within? With regard to how their
29 foundation and project relate to each other.
30
31 As for their Bylaws, if they aren't cover things we are. Is that reason
32 for us to omit those things from ours?
33
34 The BSD foundation doesn't seem to be accounting for sponsors services
35 and etc. Does that mean we should not either? Possibly but that
36 particular decision should be made by a Certified Public Accountant.
37 Which I don't think any Gentoo Developer is currently.
40 William L. Thomson Jr.
41 amd64/Java/Trustees
42 Gentoo Foundation