From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc-0.28 mounts efivars read only
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 14:58:41
1 On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:29:06 -0400 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 > > On 13/07/17 12:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> Presumably you'd only want to remount it if it was mounted ro to
5 > >> start, since it sounds like openrc will be diverging from systemd
6 > >> behavior here.
7 > >>
8 > >> While it seems like a good idea I'm not sure how big an improvement it
9 > >> is in the larger scheme. We're worried about root accidentially
10 > >> modifying efivars, but we have no safeguards against root writing to
11 > >> /dev/sda, and the latter seems much more likely to cause harm, and is
12 > >> harder to fix.
13 > >>
14 > > In case you weren't aware, Rich, rewriting the efivars actually writes
15 > > to the system BIOS, which renders the computer completely unbootable ..
16 > > not quite the same as erasing the boot sector of your hard disk, where
17 > > you simply plug in another device, and Off you go ...
20 > We are actually talking about protecting people who run something like
21 > rm -rf /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/ as root.
22 >
23 > If you are dumb enough to do something like that, you almost deserve
24 > to spend a couple hundred on a new motherboard.
25
26 Or just rm -rf /
27 [pedantic]
28 of course with newer rm versions one needs to run:
29 rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
30 or
31 rm -rf /* /.*
32 [/pedantic]
33
34 But in some scenarios this command is normal. E.g. user installs
35 Gentoo from some live dvd/flash, makes some mistakes, understands
36 that system is broken beyond repair and decides to start over again.
37 If there is no need to recreate filesystem itself or partition
38 layout, running rm -rf / as above is quite reasonable.
39
40 When running this command user expects to kill the data, but not
41 the hardware. That is my point. I can't call such action dumb.
42
43 Best regards,
44 Andrew Savchenko