From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc-0.28 mounts efivars read only
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 14:29:35
1 On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 13/07/17 12:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Presumably you'd only want to remount it if it was mounted ro to
4 >> start, since it sounds like openrc will be diverging from systemd
5 >> behavior here.
6 >>
7 >> While it seems like a good idea I'm not sure how big an improvement it
8 >> is in the larger scheme. We're worried about root accidentially
9 >> modifying efivars, but we have no safeguards against root writing to
10 >> /dev/sda, and the latter seems much more likely to cause harm, and is
11 >> harder to fix.
12 >>
13 > In case you weren't aware, Rich, rewriting the efivars actually writes
14 > to the system BIOS, which renders the computer completely unbootable ..
15 > not quite the same as erasing the boot sector of your hard disk, where
16 > you simply plug in another device, and Off you go ...
19 We are actually talking about protecting people who run something like
20 rm -rf /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/ as root.
21
22 If you are dumb enough to do something like that, you almost deserve
23 to spend a couple hundred on a new motherboard.