From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo installation problems
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:01:08
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:49:58AM -0400, Marcus A Martin wrote:
2 : 7/11/2001 11:01:34 AM, Marcus Martin <shalidor@××××××.com> wrote:
3 :
4 : > : I am attempting to use a dhcp net configuration. The inet.dhcp_eth0
5 : > : script uses dhclient, but this file is not in the /sbin directory. Or
6 : > : anywhere else on the CD I burned. I have tried to use the dhcpcd instead,
7 : > : but am unable to get this to work either. Can someone tell me what I am
8 : > : doing wrong? I know that I do not have to provide a hostname.
9 : >
10 : > What happens if you run "dhcpcd eth0" by hand?
11 :
12 : I used the CD on another machine at work, and it works just fine. Can
13 : you tell me how to turn the logging on for the dhcpcd? This way I can
14 : try and get a better handle on where the failure occurs and ask more
15 : informed questions.
16
17 Use the "-d" flag for debug. This should throw out copious amounts of
18 information. In addition to "-d" you may want to use the "-T" flag for
19 test mode. It'll show you what's supposed to happen, but won't actually
20 change anything (not like it matters right now, but for future
21 edification).
22
23 : Was there supposed to be a dhclient file in the /sbin directory, or was
24 : it removed and the OFF_inet.dhcp_eth0 file was not updated??
25
26 What version are you running. I just looked at both the i686-exclusive
27 and x86-build cds that I have and OFF_inet.dhcp_eth0 used dhcpcd.
28
29 Hey quick question. Did you set the network up before you did the
30 chroot?
31
32 --Jerry
33
34 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
35 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
36 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
37 || than that!