From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:54:45
1 On 19/11/2012 14:45, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > Is there anything that prevents the foundation from claiming ownership
3 > over work done on Gentoo Infrastructure in the same sense that a
4 > corporation would for its employees?
5
6 Lots.
7
8 > Alternatively, do people working for companies in Europe retain
9 > copyright over everything that they did while employed?
10
11 During their spare time, yes, as far as I can tell (but obviously I'm
12 not a lawyer). Usually that matter is settled with the employment
13 contract you sign (or otherwise with a specific agreement for
14 contractual work). As far as I can tell in neither case you're losing
15 your "author's rights", but you're giving the company the ability to do
16 what they want with the code.
17
18 Again, this should be handled through the Foundation, so ask the
19 Trustees or if you don't want to, ask FSFe or SFLC.
22 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
23 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/