From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:49:24
1 On 11/19/2012 01:16 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 19/11/2012 10:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> So, I give you a file. Then I tell you IN WRITING that you can go
4 >> ahead and remove my name from the copyright line if you want to.
5 >>
6 >> I think it would be hard for me to argue that I should be able to
7 >> obtain damages when I gave you authorization to remove my name.
8 >
9 > You're trying to navigate extremely difficult and varying waters.
10 >
11 > Remember that under most European copyright laws (under "author's
12 > rights", which includes Germany, France and Italy at the very least),
13 > you can't even have "public domain", as long as you're alive.
14 >
15 > Which is why things like WTFPL came up to be.
18 One of the functions of the foundation exists to handle legal matters.
19 Is there anything that prevents the foundation from claiming ownership
20 over work done on Gentoo Infrastructure in the same sense that a
21 corporation would for its employees?
22
23 Alternatively, do people working for companies in Europe retain
24 copyright over everything that they did while employed?