From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: floppym@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:07:51
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:56:06 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > Thus, not adding it to @system in no way means it's not considered
6 > > mandatory for a normal install, it just means the ultimate goal is
7 > > to have all the deps specified and nothing left in @system, and
8 > > while progress isn't fast by a long shot, the first thing is to
9 > > ensure we're not regressing!
12 > If the ultimate goal is to eliminate @system entirely (which it
13 > probably isn't), we will need to revisit the way stage building works.
14 > If understand correctly, a stage3 contains @system and its
15 > dependencies.
16 >
17 > The smallest you can really make @system under that circumstance would
18 > be a working toolchain and the utilities necessary to build any other
19 > needed packages. I think that is the goal that most people have been
20 > shooting for lately.
21
22 But you are aware that this will practically mean that there could be
23 no stand-alone ebuild repository because fulfilling the ebuild
24 dependencies wouldn't be anymore possible without providing all
25 of the standard system components, including those specified as
26 required by the PMS?
27
28 That in turn will make PMS utility requirements (bash, GNU find
29 etcetera) completely useless because the ebuilds will have to request
30 them explicitly anyway. But hey, you're aware that ebuilds use some of
31 those tools in global scope, before DEPEND is fulfilled? Also, I don't
32 think we have any kind of 'build'-time dependencies for binary
33 packages...
34 --
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny