From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rsync & /usr/portage/metadata/cache
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:19:23
1 On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 17:12, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Saturday 23 August 2003 22:51, Josep Sanjuas wrote:
3 > > If /usr/portage/metadata/cache is really a cache, shouldn't it be generated
4 > > by the local protage instead of being tranferred in rsyncs? I'm sure I'm
5 > > missing something here, because obviusly this dir shouldn't be rsyncd if
6 > > not necessary (it contains about 10000 files).
7 > >
8 > > What's the reason why it can't be generated locally as ebuilds get parsed
9 > > by portage.py?
10 >
11 > Good question! I can't answer it, though...
12 >
13 > I just want to add one question. Changes to ebuilds seem to take effect
14 > straight away. So, when is /usr/portage/metadata/* used?
17 During dependency calculation ... To generate it locally, can take
18 30mins to a few hours depending on the box - and you would have to
19 do it after every sync to get the benefit ....
22 Cheers,
26 Martin Schlemmer
27 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
28 Cape Town, South Africa