From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fact Injection (was: Living in a bubble)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 04:21:18
1 Benjamin Judas wrote:
2
3 > --8<------------
4 > 21:36 <@spb> next step is making paludis the officially supported
5 > package manager on alpha
6 > 21:36 <@eroyf> yes
7 > 21:36 <@eroyf> like it is on mips
8 > 21:36 * eroyf giggles
9 > 21:36 <@eroyf> all the mips devs are using it anyways
10 > 21:37 <@spb> and of course the ultimate aim is to drop alpha keywords
11 > from portage
12 > -->8------------
13
14 Ya'll don't hear from me very often, usually because for the last 9 months or
15 so, I've been pretty apathetic to things that have been going on. But I keep on
16 truckin' because I have this....sense that we're just having a wee little dark
17 age. You know, like that one back in the last millennium where there was
18 probably 0 scientific advancement? Well, we (the world) survived that. We also
19 survived the Cold War. And by the gods, we're gonna survive Bush too (bloody
20 RAID6 bugs....). That means, Gentoo can survive this this little dark spell
21 quite easily. We won't be the same organization that we were we this all
22 started, but well, that's life. Old blood will be leeched, and new blood
23 transfused in.
24
25 I've made rumblings about an old Star Wars club I was once in. They too went
26 downhill a bit during my tenure there, and by the time I left, I said: "They
27 won't survive another year at this rate. Decisions take forever, the founder
28 barely pays attention, and most of the command staff argues over minor things,
29 like rank and title." That was late 2001, early 2002 when I said that (and when
30 I left). They're still around. Different people running it, but they're still
31 around.
32
33 That was like, wow, five years ago almost. Now if a club made up of people
34 loyal to the bad guys in a fictional sci-fi universe can survive as long as they
35 have, a distro like Gentoo, with its radical capabilities for adapting to change
36 can survive a helluva lot longer. WAY longer. All other things are, frankly,
37 irrelevant. They're just the details.
42 Now why quote that one snippet above? Simple. A joke it was; yes. But since I
43 am pretty much the MIPS team these days, I felt it was time once again for me to
44 stop talking about pikachus and mudkips, and pikakips and mudchus, and set some
45 things straight with regards to this arch. Some of this reflects my own
46 feelings on the matter as well, which I may or may not have shared before.
47
48 Namely, number 1, Paludis is _not_ the "official" package manager of the MIPS
49 arch. Right now, Portage *is*, because *that* is what the stages, built by
50 Catalyst (on my bloody Octane), have in them. And unless Catalyst starts
51 building stages with Paludis exclusively, that fact will *not* change anytime soon.
52
53 I have nothing against Paludis, or even pkgcore, but as I see it, Portage is
54 what we build release stages with; it's what a majority of our users use; it's
55 what freakin' _defines_ us. I couldn't care less if some people regard Portage
56 as being more broke than Windows Millennium, and that certain alternatives are
57 superior. Portage _is_ Gentoo, and thus, it's what I use. That's my take on
58 the whole matter.
59
60 Now with that info out there, this is why I like this PMS thing that spb and
61 ciaranm have been working on. I haven't read more than a few pages of the PDF
62 documenting it, but it's top notch stuff, I think. And it's what we've needed
63 for a very long time.
64
65 See, I don't see a future where Gentoo only has one "official" package manager.
66 I see a future where Gentoo provides a living database of software, adherent
67 to a defined standard; A standard that allows multiple package managers to
68 interface with and utilize. And because this standard exists, if one package
69 manager sucks relative to another, then someone with savvy codin' skills can go
70 off and fix it. Or write an entirely new package manager. In TCL if you want.
71 Or freakin' Visual Basic. Whatever floats your shredded wheat.
72
73 So right now, coming from the mouth (or hands) of the resident MIPS junkie,
74 Portage is our official package manager. And no, not all the mips devs use
75 Paludis either. Probably because I'm the lone guy who sticks to Portage because
76 I'm too damn lazy to bother re-learning an entirely new set of commands. I like
77 my emerge, I love my repoman (even if it's a bloody slow thing), and so on. In
78 the future, I hope to have MIPS maybe become the arch that'll be the first to
79 support multiple package managers, officially. And by that, I mean stages for
80 portage, paludis, and pkgcore. Even if it means a dozen stages or more to
81 support each one, that's fine (even if I have to write the Catalyst code for
82 it). Because that's what Gentoo is about -- Choice.
83
84 Although, I wonder if it's more sane to create some gcc-config-like tool to just
85 "switch" between package managers on the fly in a single stage3, irregardless of
86 what package manager built that stage. Now wouldn't freakin' rock a zergling's
87 socks?
92 Anyways, we're off the crab guys. Really. We're pulling in blank pots, the
93 crew is getting restless, and we're almost out of coffee and nicotine. Let's
94 get our heads on straight, our asses in gear, fill our tanks and get back to
95 port so we can get paid and go home.
96
97 Don't make me write another mail like this in a few months' time, k?
101 --Kumba
104 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
105
106 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
107 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
108 --
109 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list