From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:33:53
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:20:06 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > Who is we? I believe REQUIRED_USE is one of the features which will be
4 > available thanks to staying compatible with USE flags instead of
5 > reinventing the wheel.
6
7 Yes, but the REQUIRED_USE wheel is square, and gives a *very* bumpy
8 ride to users. It also isn't particularly easy for developers.
9
10 > > b) How is consistency checking to be done? Related, what happens
11 > > when a runtime switch introduces a dependency that then requires a
12 > > non-runtime rebuild of the original package?
13 >
14 > Then the package is rebuilt. Where's the problem?
15
16 The problem is in implementing that correctly... It's certainly doable,
17 but it's not entirely trivial, depending upon how you're doing
18 resolution.
19
20 > Handling of
21 > REQUIRED_USE is not perfectly user friendly but it works.
22
23 Like a square wheel, yes.
24
25 > > c) How do we deal with flag? ( cat/dep[foo] ) or flag?
26 > > ( >=cat/dep-2.1 ) cases where cat/dep[-foo] or =cat/dep-2.0 is
27 > > installed and flag is off? From experience, quite a few places
28 > > where you'd want to use suggestions will break if their suggested
29 > > package is installed but doesn't meet version or use requirements.
30 >
31 > Er, you mean how to deal with an optional dependency which is not
32 > enabled at all?
33
34 I mean the *entire* thing I wrote.
37 Ciaran McCreesh