From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:22:41
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 17:00:07 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:43:00 -0300
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Could you please elaborate on what kind of problems may arise ? The
7 > > proposal seems pretty simple and sane to me: PM only has to switch the
8 > > useflags that are IUSE_RUNTIME in his installed packages db after
9 > > installing the deps and without triggering a rebuild of said package.
10 >
11 > a) How do we provide a good user interface for it? It took an awful lot
12 > of experimenting to get the exheres-0 suggestions user interface to be
13 > good, and it requires quite a bit more information from the package
14 > side than this proposal is providing. We want to avoid a REQUIRED_USE
15 > here...
16
17 Who is we? I believe REQUIRED_USE is one of the features which will be
18 available thanks to staying compatible with USE flags instead of
19 reinventing the wheel.
20
21 > b) How is consistency checking to be done? Related, what happens when a
22 > runtime switch introduces a dependency that then requires a non-runtime
23 > rebuild of the original package?
24
25 Then the package is rebuilt. Where's the problem? Handling of
26 REQUIRED_USE is not perfectly user friendly but it works.
27
28 > c) How do we deal with flag? ( cat/dep[foo] ) or flag? ( >=cat/dep-2.1 )
29 > cases where cat/dep[-foo] or =cat/dep-2.0 is installed and flag is off?
30 > From experience, quite a few places where you'd want to use suggestions
31 > will break if their suggested package is installed but doesn't meet
32 > version or use requirements.
33
34 Er, you mean how to deal with an optional dependency which is not
35 enabled at all?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny