From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:04:19
1 On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:43:00 -0300
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > Could you please elaborate on what kind of problems may arise ? The
4 > proposal seems pretty simple and sane to me: PM only has to switch the
5 > useflags that are IUSE_RUNTIME in his installed packages db after
6 > installing the deps and without triggering a rebuild of said package.
7
8 a) How do we provide a good user interface for it? It took an awful lot
9 of experimenting to get the exheres-0 suggestions user interface to be
10 good, and it requires quite a bit more information from the package
11 side than this proposal is providing. We want to avoid a REQUIRED_USE
12 here...
13
14 b) How is consistency checking to be done? Related, what happens when a
15 runtime switch introduces a dependency that then requires a non-runtime
16 rebuild of the original package?
17
18 c) How do we deal with flag? ( cat/dep[foo] ) or flag? ( >=cat/dep-2.1 )
19 cases where cat/dep[-foo] or =cat/dep-2.0 is installed and flag is off?
20 From experience, quite a few places where you'd want to use suggestions
21 will break if their suggested package is installed but doesn't meet
22 version or use requirements.
23
24 However, addressing these probably isn't enough, since this is just
25 the things we had to think about for SDEPEND-style suggestions... There
26 are likely to be things I've not thought of specific to this method
27 that won't crop up until someone tries to deliver a decent
28 implementation. This isn't a trivial feature.
31 Ciaran McCreesh