From: Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev]
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 19:02:26
1 * On Mon May-09-2005 at 03:34:36 PM +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen said:
2 > On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 16:21 +0300, Alin Nastac wrote:
3 [...]
4 > > Mobile phones are far from PDAs. I don't see anything you can't do with
5 > > a PDA (since it _is_ a computer).
6 > > Compared to them, _normal_ mobile phones are very limited devices.
7 >
8 > My last two mobile phones (Motorola A920 and Motorola E1000) are
9 > symbian-based hand-helds, and they act like a PDA - but I still can't do
10 > the same stuff with my PDA as I can with a PC.
11
12 I have a symbian phone as well (Nokia 3595, at least I'm pretty sure
13 Nokia's run symbian) but it does not act like a PDA. Luckily I also have
14 a PDA (i-Mate PDA2K, aka O2 XDA IIs, MDA III, and so on...) which acts
15 as a phone. Needless to say these devices are far from similar.
16
17 > I suggested app-pda because of the metadata.xml description:
18 >
19 > The app-pda category contains software for working with personal
20 > digital assistants or hand-held computers.
21 >
22 > As I've said, I think most modern mobile phones can be considered being
23 > a PDA/hand-held computer.
24
25 The latest and greatest phones can almost be considered PDAs, I agree.
26 But they are not the norm yet. I mean, my phone can run Java
27 applications and has GPRS but that's about as far as it goes. My PDA,
28 well it has everything from BlueTooth and 802.11b to GPRS, GSM (850,
29 900, 1800, 1900) as well as an internal 128M flash memory and a 512M SD
30 card in the expansion slot. It even has a slide-out keyboard. This
31 thing is more powerful than most PCs 10 years ago. They are converging,
32 but PDAs are advancing at an astonishing rate since they're geared
33 towards power users and geeks. Phones aren't moving as fast since for
34 the average person they just want a phone that makes and receives calls.
35 Does the average person use Gentoo? Probably not, but I still think they
36 are very different beasts for now and should be kept separate.
37
38 I am aware that mobile phones outside of North America are much more
39 advanced (in general) so perhaps this is the cause of this little
40 disagreement. I don't have a really strong opinion either way, but I
41 thought I'd throw in my user's perspective.
44 Sami Samhuri