From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC available for testing.
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:54:26
1 On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:15 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 1/2/08, Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name> wrote:
3 > > Those functions were removed from functions.sh as only update-modules
4 > > still uses them. udev does use KV_to_int though. I don't really want to
5 > > add those functions back. Although we could trivially add is_older_than
6 > > as a C applet built into rc.
7 >
8 > So who should take care of this?
9
10 update-modules maintainer which would be vapier.
11 I notified him on IRC about this a few months ago, but he never replied
12 one way or the other.
13
14 > > > How can I add a specific service dependency using this mechanism? The
15 > > > modified service name is missing...
16 > >
17 > > They're supposed to belong in /etc/conf.d/$SVCNAME
18 > > Maybe you could suggest better wording?
19 > >
20 > > I suppose we could also allow
21 > > rc_$SVCNAME_$depend to work, for example
22 > >
23 > > rc_clock_need="modules"
24 >
25 > Oh... This is good, just document it... :)
26
27 Done!
28 re-emerge to test.
29
30 > You did not reply regarding this one:
31 >
32 > > > Also the network dependency of stopping/starting services when network
33 > > > is unavailable/available is gone, any alternative?
34
35 It's not gone at all - just different. It's also no longer net specific,
36 and applies to any service that can be multiplexed. But lets use net as
37 the example as everyone understands that.
38
39 With rc_depend_strict=YES (which is the default)
40 If any services added to the current runlevel provide net then all those
41 services will be used. If none found, then check the boot runlevel and
42 use those. If none found then nothing provides net as such.
43
44 With rc_depend_strict=NO we check the following and abort at the first
45 match.
46 Check if any started service provide net - if so use them.
47 Check if any inactive services provide net - if so use them.
48 Check if any coldplugged services provide net - if so use them.
49 If nothing found then list ALL installed services that provide net.
50
51 Hopefully that makes things a little more clear.
52
53 Thanks
54
55 Roy