From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, council@g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:26:51
1 On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 08:19:20PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 13:23 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Hey all,
4 > >
5 > > it has been brought to my attention that there have been several
6 > > backward-incompatible changes made to the python eclasses lately.
7 >
8 > Does 'several' in this case mean more than one? Please correct me if
9 > I'm mistaken but the only change I can think of were the changes
10 > in python-single-r1.
11 >
12 > > It is true that everything in ::gentoo has been fixed along with the
13 > > changes to the eclasses; however, when a change like this goes into a
14 > > widely used eclass it breaks overlays with little to no notice;
15 > > especially since we do not require developers to be subscribed to this
16 > > mailing list.
17 > >
18 > > I do agree that overlay authors are on their own to fix things, but we need to
19 > > find a way to notify them when a breaking change is going into a widely
20 > > used eclass and give them time to adjust their ebuilds.
21 > >
22 > > If the old way of doing things cannot be supported
23 > > along side the new way the correct path forward is a new version of the
24 > > eclass then a lastrites on the old version. That would give overlay
25 > > authors time to switch to the new eclass.
26 > >
27 > > If the old and new way can be supported in the same code base, a
28 > > reasonable way forward is to allow both ways to exist while ::gentoo is
29 > > migrated to the new code path then do the equivalent of a lastrites for
30 > > the old code path so overlay authors can adjust their ebuilds.
33 > The lesson was learned. If a similar change would be necessary
34 > in the future, I will bump the eclass instead. I don't understand why
35 > you bring that today.
36
37 The change that blew us up today was
38
39 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/aa45f4f86f9b865eb0fe7344d83a7258
40
41 and this is the reason I brought it to the ml.
42
43 The previous change that blew us up was
44
45 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/4bf9f0250115c57779f93817356df871
46
47 Thanks,