From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: backward-incompatible changes in eclasses
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 19:19:31
1 On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 13:23 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > it has been brought to my attention that there have been several
5 > backward-incompatible changes made to the python eclasses lately.
6
7 Does 'several' in this case mean more than one? Please correct me if
8 I'm mistaken but the only change I can think of were the changes
9 in python-single-r1.
10
11 > It is true that everything in ::gentoo has been fixed along with the
12 > changes to the eclasses; however, when a change like this goes into a
13 > widely used eclass it breaks overlays with little to no notice;
14 > especially since we do not require developers to be subscribed to this
15 > mailing list.
16 >
17 > I do agree that overlay authors are on their own to fix things, but we need to
18 > find a way to notify them when a breaking change is going into a widely
19 > used eclass and give them time to adjust their ebuilds.
20 >
21 > If the old way of doing things cannot be supported
22 > along side the new way the correct path forward is a new version of the
23 > eclass then a lastrites on the old version. That would give overlay
24 > authors time to switch to the new eclass.
25 >
26 > If the old and new way can be supported in the same code base, a
27 > reasonable way forward is to allow both ways to exist while ::gentoo is
28 > migrated to the new code path then do the equivalent of a lastrites for
29 > the old code path so overlay authors can adjust their ebuilds.
32 The lesson was learned. If a similar change would be necessary
33 in the future, I will bump the eclass instead. I don't understand why
34 you bring that today.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny