From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:46:49
1 On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 05:26:56 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | > | Seriously? Without an implementation, your spec of what should
4 | > | happen will have loads of errors?
5 | >
6 | > Yes. It will describe what people think is allowed, rather than what
7 | > really is.
8 |
9 | If you're writing the spec to match what "people think", why limit
10 | the # of folks involved?
11
12 You're reading that backwards.
13
14 | > b) they're more interested in replacing
15 | > the ebuild format
16 |
17 | Pure and absolute FUD; recall which project has added incompatible
18 | version extensions
19
20 Which are optional
21
22 | which is dropping running *rm when reinstalling the same ver
23
24 We haven't done that in trunk/ for a while now.
25
26 | which *still* doesn't actually implement overlay logic,
27
28 Sure we do.
29
30 | leading to overlay authors having to copy master files into each
31 | overlay branch.
32
33 Uh, no.
34
35 | Doing it formally, I hereby request access to PMS specifically with
36 | the intention of going over it to spot where it differs from long
37 | standing portage behaviour.
38
39 And as you know all too well, given your behaviour on every previous
40 discussion we've had related to this, you're not getting it.
41
42 | > | a portage dev such as zmedico
43 | >
44 | > We have a Portage dev reviewing it.
45 |
46 | Which, if I may ask? (vague specifics help no one). Zmedico,
47 | indicated above isn't (although perhaps you're just being coy, and he
48 | is). Genone isn't ever around, bit hard for him to be doing it.
49 | Stubbs is mia, kito/exg are both MIA afaik (additionally, prefix
50 | specific although both have a pretty good understanding of env
51 | requirements due to changing it for the prefix experiment- same goes
52 | for grobian despite not being an official portage monkey).
53 |
54 | That leaves spanky, and antarus, who you specifically contradict
55 | within the email.
56 |
57 | So... which?
58
59 Genone.
60
61 | > > and Gianelloni for the infrastructure.
62 | >
63 | > And what on earth do infrastructure have to do with a package
64 | > manager specification?
65 |
66 | Wolf31o2 (chris) is releng moreso; one of the few folks doing
67 | non-trivial things with the profiles pretty much, with long term
68 | experience doing so.
69 |
70 | In that regard, he's one of a few handful of people who basically
71 | could be considered profile experts- further, he's a catalyst monkey,
72 | which at least currently, is the stage building method.
73
74 Which I know fine well, and which has no relevance to what I said.
75
76 | For example, dismissing Chris when he's effectively the "profiles
77 | guy". Granted, can involve him afterwards, but don't much see the
78 | point in *not* doing it up front.
79
80 Just where did I dismiss Chris?
83 Ciaran McCreesh