From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:30:55
1 On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:13:11AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 04:04:37 +0000 Steve Long
3 > <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > | > I'm saying that until there is an independent implementation, the
5 > | > specification is worthless and will contain huge numbers of errors.
6 > |
7 > | Seriously? Without an implementation, your spec of what should happen
8 > | will have loads of errors?
9 >
10 > Yes. It will describe what people think is allowed, rather than what
11 > really is.
12
13 If you're writing the spec to match what "people think", why limit the
14 # of folks involved? If you've just involved paludis devs, you're
15 limiting the "what people think" to "what paludis folk think". Not
16 saying thats the case (I'd assume y'all have at least a few non
17 paludis people commenting).
18
19 Regardless, my longstanding view on the matter is that eapi=0 must be
20 "what it really is", ie, it should document the long term behaviour of
21 portage up to the point of breaking the specification out of portage.
22
23 Lots of folks have lots of goofy ideas about what the manager does
24 (see the old gnome/metadata constant wars if in doubt), that doesn't
25 mean those views are right- nor are they particularly useful if the
26 intention is to document the format (wishlists should be reserved for
27 revisions of the format, not documenting the existing).
28
29 Mind you, changes within limits are fine- good example is atom
30 inconsistancy (bug 152127). That said, the change there was done up
31 front, rather then stating "this is how it should be".
32
33 Talking point wise, it would be good to get an idea of some of the
34 "what people think is allowed, rather than what really is".
37 > Perfect example -- we'd never have caught the multiple
38 > sourcing issue without an independent implementation.
39
40 That issue was caught long ago by the portage branch of ebd (now known
41 as pkgcore) actually, portage-2.1_alpha20050718 being the
42 specific released version (rest where unofficial tarballs). Tree has
43 degraded a bit since then, but already went after the issue a long
44 while back to try and get things cleaned.
45
46 I'm well aware thats going to be read "nya nya, we saw it first";
47 that's not the intention. Intention is to point out that y'all are
48 basically covering territory others may already have, thus potentially
49 making the same mistakes others did. Re: env save/reload mistakes,
50 will address it in a seperate email within next day or so (need to
51 write it mainly).
54 > | In process terms, I can't understand why the team working on it isn't
55 > | a pkgcore dev (eg marienz if you can't communicate with ferringb)
56 >
57 <mild reordering follows>
58 > b) they're more interested in replacing
59 > the ebuild format
60
61 Pure and absolute FUD; recall which project has added incompatible
62 version extensions, which is dropping running *rm when reinstalling
63 the same ver, which *still* doesn't actually implement overlay logic,
64 leading to overlay authors having to copy master files into each
65 overlay branch.
66
67 Not intending on bashing, point is, pkgcore has *never* pushed
68 "replacing the ebuild format", nor realistically changes to the
69 ebuild/repo/configuration formats; implying otherwise is indicative of
70 one being out of touch with reality.
73 > Because a) they haven't asked,
74
75 Oddly enough, asked. Got the "we give access to those who are useful"
76 response several time over. Bringing up the issue, generally seems to
77 trigger that response.
80 > and c) every other time they've gotten involved
81 > they've been highly unhelpful.
82
83 Specifics would be welcome. I'll remind you, despite y'all coining my
84 last name as verbage for 'troll', I've spent the time going over
85 paludis's differing implementation pointing out the format
86 incompatibilities, decent number of which y'all fixed after a bit of
87 the usual warring.
88
89 Doing it formally, I hereby request access to PMS specifically with
90 the intention of going over it to spot where it differs from long
91 standing portage behaviour.
92
93 May view that as unhelpful to do now, but as spb and others have
94 stated, can't extend the format without documenting what it is *now*.
97 > | a portage dev such as zmedico
98 >
99 > We have a Portage dev reviewing it.
100
101 Which, if I may ask? (vague specifics help no one). Zmedico,
102 indicated above isn't (although perhaps you're just being coy, and he
103 is). Genone isn't ever around, bit hard for him to be doing it.
104 Stubbs is mia, kito/exg are both MIA afaik (additionally, prefix
105 specific although both have a pretty good understanding of env
106 requirements due to changing it for the prefix experiment- same goes
107 for grobian despite not being an official portage monkey).
108
109 That leaves spanky, and antarus, who you specifically contradict
110 within the email.
111
112 So... which?
115 > > and Gianelloni for the infrastructure.
116 >
117 > And what on earth do infrastructure have to do with a package manager
118 > specification?
119
120 Wolf31o2 (chris) is releng moreso; one of the few folks doing
121 non-trivial things with the profiles pretty much, with long term
122 experience doing so.
123
124 In that regard, he's one of a few handful of people who basically
125 could be considered profile experts- further, he's a catalyst monkey,
126 which at least currently, is the stage building method.
129 > Somehow I don't think you have the slightest clue what the scope of the
130 > document is...
131
132 The suggetions he's laying out is intended to get multiple folks
133 involved who each have their own specialized domain knowledge.
134
135 For example, dismissing Chris when he's effectively the "profiles
136 guy". Granted, can involve him afterwards, but don't much see the
137 point in *not* doing it up front.
138
139 Re: scope of the document; feel free to clarify the scope.
142 ~harring