From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: use of the /run directory
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 19:49:49
1 On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Panagiotis Christopoulos
2 <pchrist@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 23:58 Tue 17 May     , Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> I'd add that if we want /run to be on tmpfs, /var/run and /tmp should
6 >> both be on tmpfs by default. I've been doing this manually for a year,
7 >> and so have other distributions.
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > A quick look at the size of my desktop's /tmp is:
13 >
14 > spirit@Vereniki ~ $ du -sh /tmp/
15 > 641M    /tmp/
16 > spirit@Vereniki ~ $
17 >
18 > Maybe it's just me (cause of the way I'm using /tmp, eg. I use that dir
19 > to unpack sources of packages I want to temporarily look inside and
20 > for anything else *temporary*, also some programs (eg. browsers) use it
21 > for temporary storage) but if there are others like me, I don't
22 > think we'd like to do this in RAM space (tmpfs). For /run and /var/run
23 > dirs it's ok I suppose.
26 Maybe you should use /var/tmp for that? Or ~/tmp/ ?
27
28 OTOH, we could use an rc.conf configuration variable to control
29 whether /tmp is mounted as tmpfs.
32 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
33
34 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team