From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Readme files for portage (was: A nice idea to improve portage)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:45:45
1 On Wednesday 11 June 2003 12:10, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:37:02AM +0100, MooktaKiNG wrote:
3 > > Another good reason to have a README is becuase sometimes people
4 > > want to know more about a program. Without having to install it.
5 > >
6 > > If they can learn about the program before they install. They are
7 > > more aware of how hard/easy the installtion is.
8 >
9 > I thought that was one of the reasons the source URL shows up in a
10 > search. It's how I've always checked to see what a package does. README
11 > files, imo, are great in theory but put additional maintenance strain on
12 > a dev. Just my two euros,
15 Most probably the upcomming herds system will introduce a metadata file that
16 also includes the possibility for a long description.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Researcher