From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, "Miguel S. Filipe" <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New sys-kernel tree layout
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:08:15
1 On Wednesday 24 April 2002 03:46 pm, Miguel S. Filipe wrote:
2
3 > I never understood why gentoo says this about reiserfs.
4 > reiserfs is actively mantained in the kernel tree, it's allways getting
5 > updated and bugs are fixed every release, this for me is a signal that
6 > it's being very tested, and the fact that it's in the main kernel tree
7 > for some time, and I never saw in kerneltrap.com, or in any other web
8 > page related to the kernel, or the kernel mailing list.
9
10 I can't speak for gentoo, but I have personally witnessed data loss with
11 reiserfs on a number of occasions ... a friend of mine had the dubious
12 privelege of having that experience just a couple of weeks ago.
13
14 So while I cannot offer any insight into why the gentoo developers may have
15 warned people away from reiser, I can tell you from personal experience that
16 I'm glad they did, and only wish other distros had done the same.
17
18 As a user of XFS I too am frustrated at the occasional hiccup in support
19 (which will undoubtably change once it is in the 2.5.x kernel), although even
20 so I have never experienced a single bit of data loss ... just the annoying
21 himem bug during install which I work around by installing onto an ext2
22 partition and then copying over to a new xfs partition after I've booted a
23 kernel with himem not compiled in.
24
25 One can add performance patches by hand to an XFS capable kernel, or make a
26 custom ebuild to do so. I've had good luck with the preemtable patch as well
27 as the low latency patch (though I haven't gotten around to trying either
28 against the current 2.4.19-r1 (xfs-sources) kernel yet).
29
30 Jean.