From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dummy-sources
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:08:49
1 On 24 Jul 2003 09:24:17 -0600
2 Dave Nellans <dnellans@×××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > you explicitly inject some version but as long as you never add it to
5 > your world file it won't be updated unless required by something that
6 > depends on it. And in that case you are going to want to update
7 > anyways, and you can just inject it again and build your own source
8 > that satisfies the new dependancies.
9
10 If pkgA depends on virtual/foo, and virtual/foo is instanciated by pkgB,
11 then an "emerge -u pkgA" will try to update pkgB, whether it has been
12 really emerged or injected. Hence, if pkgA is a world package, an
13 "emerge -u world" can build an update of your injected package, and in
14 the linux-source example, that's not what we want.
15
16 Another issue is that the inject of pkgB to instanciate virtual/foo will
17 only does what we expect if pkgB is the default package associated to
18 virtual/foo in your profile "virtuals" dictionnary. This is because
19 ebuilds are not parsed by inject (hence PROVIDE is ignored, and nothing
20 gets added to your edb/virtuals). For instance, because gentoo-sources
21 is the default value for virtual/linux-sources, if you inject
22 vanilla-sources and then emerge something depending on
23 virtual/linux-sources, gentoo-sources will be emerged.
24
25 That's why I was suggesting the possibility to inject virtual packages,
26 I think it would really be more clear when what the user wants is to
27 satisfy the dependencies on this virtual packages.
28
29 But dummy ebuilds are also an acceptable (and easier) way to do it. We
30 can imagine a dummy category for such stub ebuilds, one for each virtual
31 packages, so that "emerge dummy/linux-sources" would definitly
32 instanciate virtual/linux-sources, because there would be no updates in
33 this category.
36 TGL.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list