From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item review: SquashDelta syncing support
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 22:02:25
1 Dnia 2015-05-15, o godz. 08:23:27
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Starting with Portage 2.2.19, a new SquashDelta syncing method has been
6 > > introduced. It is meant to provide lightweight and efficient solution
7 > > for stable systems. The whole repository is contained within a single
8 > > pre-generated SquashFS image file. The daily snapshot of the repository
9 > > is first fetched from the mirrors, and afterwards updated in-place using
10 > > deltas (without repacking).
11 >
12 > This sounds nice, but the news item currently leaves me wondering what
13 > sort of improvements I should expect. It says the new method is
14 > "lightweight and efficient", but it would be nice to quantify this a
15 > little bit, or add a link to a page with more details. I think the
16 > default sync method in the handbook up to now has always been rsync? A
17 > comparison (both in terms of upside and in terms of downside) would be
18 > nice. Also, whether we want to make this the new default at some
19 > point, and if so, when.
20
21 I'll rewrite the beginning to be more clear on advantages when I have
22 some time for it.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny