From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item review: SquashDelta syncing support
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 15:24:00
1 On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Starting with Portage 2.2.19, a new SquashDelta syncing method has been
3 > introduced. It is meant to provide lightweight and efficient solution
4 > for stable systems. The whole repository is contained within a single
5 > pre-generated SquashFS image file. The daily snapshot of the repository
6 > is first fetched from the mirrors, and afterwards updated in-place using
7 > deltas (without repacking).
8
9 This sounds nice, but the news item currently leaves me wondering what
10 sort of improvements I should expect. It says the new method is
11 "lightweight and efficient", but it would be nice to quantify this a
12 little bit, or add a link to a page with more details. I think the
13 default sync method in the handbook up to now has always been rsync? A
14 comparison (both in terms of upside and in terms of downside) would be
15 nice. Also, whether we want to make this the new default at some
16 point, and if so, when.
17
18 Cheers,
19