From: Diamond <diamond@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item review: SquashDelta syncing support
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:15:28
1 On Fri, 15 May 2015 08:23:27 -0700
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > Starting with Portage 2.2.19, a new SquashDelta syncing method has
7 > > been introduced. It is meant to provide lightweight and efficient
8 > > solution for stable systems. The whole repository is contained
9 > > within a single pre-generated SquashFS image file. The daily
10 > > snapshot of the repository is first fetched from the mirrors, and
11 > > afterwards updated in-place using deltas (without repacking).
12 >
13 > This sounds nice, but the news item currently leaves me wondering what
14 > sort of improvements I should expect. It says the new method is
15 > "lightweight and efficient", but it would be nice to quantify this a
16 > little bit, or add a link to a page with more details. I think the
17 > default sync method in the handbook up to now has always been rsync? A
18 > comparison (both in terms of upside and in terms of downside) would be
19 > nice. Also, whether we want to make this the new default at some
20 > point, and if so, when.
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 >
24 > Dirkjan
28 I've read the pdf article of Michał Górny and from my expirience with
29 emerge-delta-webrsync and app-portage/getdelta in the past this good old
30 new feature looks mostly useful for bad Internet connections (too slow
31 or too expensive ones) and looks mostly useless for syncing
32 relative to rsync method from local mirror like I use
33 http://mirror.yandex.ru/gentoo-distfiles/
34 from my local region.
35 eix-sync gave me the following statistics (before introducing new
36 portage sync with repos.conf wich has stopped upgrade in the middle atm
37 because >=app-portage/layman-2.3.0 haven't been stabilised yet):
38 * Time statistics:
39 19 seconds for syncing
40 17 seconds for eix-update
41 1 seconds for eix-diff
42 51 seconds total
43 or this one the other day:
44 * Time statistics:
45 37 seconds for syncing
46 11 seconds for eix-update
47 1 seconds for eix-diff
48 67 seconds total
49 So it takes usually 15-40 seconds for syncing using usual rsync method.
50 This deltas have their own drawbacks like "delta is under generation,
51 please wait half an hour or even more" or "your state is not the same
52 what was while generating delta on the host and lets do additional work
53 with more deltas". ))
54
55 Although, nice try with experimenting and trying to improve sync
56 mechanism. )