From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:58:20
1 On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:35:11PM +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
2 > On 6/28/05, Fernando J. Pereda <ferdy@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:19:34PM +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
4 > > > > I still don't see *WHY* you should be different from us. If you want to
5 > > > > manage your recruits then they can't be gentoo staff.
6 > > >
7 > > > One reason could be that we are _not_ going to be called developers but staff.
8 > >
9 > > Can anybody explain me the difference between them ?
10 >
11 > Well, you better discuss that with your fellow developers. It was they
12 > who didn't want us to become developers and gave us the title of staff
13 > instead.
14
15 Developers have CVS access; take the ebuild quiz and you're a developer,
16 take the staff quiz (the eight-question quiz some mods apparently don't
17 like for whatever bizarre reason...) and you're staff
18
19 Overall I'd say I think the best course of action is for the forum
20 admins & whatever high-level executive decision making moderators to
21 become staff and for the forums to become a valid (sub)project, then
22 they can add their other folks as needed. I don't see any need for the
23 'all or nothing' approach. Frankly I don't see any harm in people not
24 being totally clear on which mods are "staff" and which aren't (what
25 practical difference does it make?)
28 Jon Portnoy
29 avenj/irc.freenode.net
30 --