From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] git security (SHA-1)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:35:59
1 Jauhien Piatlicki:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 09/15/2014 01:37 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
5 >> On 15 September 2014 11:25, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Robin said
8 >>>> The Git commit-signing design explicitly signs the entire commit,
9 >>> including blob contents, to avoid this security problem.
10 >>>
11 >>> Is this correct or not?
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> I can verify a commit by hand with only the commit object and gpg, but
15 >> without any of the trees or parents.
16 >>
17 >> https://gist.github.com/kentfredric/8448fe55ffab7d314ecb
21 > So signing of git commits does not guarantee enough security (taking
22 > that SHA1 is weak and can be broken), right? Could we than just use
23 > usual (not thin) manifests?
26 * there is no known SHA-1 collision afais
27 * calculating one isn't that hard. NSA might be able to do it in
28 reasonable time
29 * however, the algorithms to do that will come up with random garbage,
30 so it's a completely different thing to hide a useful vulnerability
31 behind a SHA-1 collision