From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] bayesiam SPAM filter 'bogofilter' ebuild on bugzilla
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 04:38:39
1 Hey Evan, Javier and everybody.
2
3 So this issue came up again, yet another time (TM) :).
4 Please take a look at #1523. That describes some thoughts and certain strategy
5 that is designed to help exactly this.
6
7 As Evan says (and I and many developers would agree) separate tree has its
8 disadvantages. Most important one being duplication of effort and encumbered
9 transition of packages between trees. It is much better to extend present
10 ebuild handling model to have multiple stability levels within the same
11 portage tree. We already have keyword based masking - effectively we already
12 have stable and testing profiles. More work needs to be done of course, but
13 the now-ultimate solution will involve streamlined ebuild
14 sbmission/processing that will allow fast turnover and wide-scale testing
15 that you are proposing here. Comments are wellcome (specifically the desing
16 of user feedback/voting system is most eagerly needed now). Just be careful
17 reading that bug: it is somewhat outdated by now - it contains some mechanism
18 descriptions which more as a "test-bed", now we have this functionality
19 implemented slightly differently (e.g. KEYWORDS instead of levels).
20 In the mean time it is possible to announce new ebuilds here, how this is
21 done now.
22
23 Along these lines I would like to voice my request here:
24 As I mentioned we now have a keyword based masking providing a test-oriented
25 profile. Eventually we will have some more/less automated report system,
26 however we need to make sure new submissions are getting enough testing
27 *now*, so that the "~"'s do not stay on ebuilds forever.
28 Hereby I would like to ask anybody willing to do some testing (and not afraid
29 of bad effects of course ;)), to try out new ebuilds which have "~" for their
30 ARCH in the KEYWORDS and report results. The best way to report at present is
31 to find the related bug (just a quick search on bugzilla) and post a message
32 there (do not be afraid if the bug is closed - core developer will be glad to
33 hear about success and will remove "~" onces he accumulates anough feedback).
34
35 George