From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] bayesiam SPAM filter 'bogofilter' ebuild on bugzilla
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 02:24:52
1 Hey all,
2
3 If I may chime in:
4
5 > As I also said in that e-mail I sent to Evan, don't you think a better
6 > interface to commit new ebuilds, being considered for inclusion in the
7 > official tree, or just to use by those willing to try out something
8 > too
9 > unstable - e.g. CVS versions -, might be nice? Something like a
10 > ebuilds
11 > 'alt' repository where non-core Gentoo developers might send theirs,
12 > as
13 > core developers might have their non-official packages, kde-cvs or
14 > gnome-2 in the past come to my mind.
15 > I find bugzilla a bit awkward for this task, it is right to file bugs,
16 > but to search new ebuilds to try or even to be aware of those new
17 > submissions has ample space for improvement, IMHO.
18
19 I think our own CVS repository for our own ebuilds would be nice. That
20 way users would only need to "emerge alt-ebuilds" to pull down a tree
21 into:
22
23 /usr/alt-portage/
24
25 To play with the ebuilds. Perhaps then another user would need to be a
26 "tester" and a third user "a seconder" and then a bugizilla bug could
27 be files with the details of the testing and seconding (basically more
28 eyes to look at it) asking for inclusion into the official tree.
29
30 But then, buzilla would be better if stuff moved into the repository
31 much faster! I am sure my ebuilds could go in (even better, put in
32 Javier's) with a "testing" or even mask them. They have been waiting
33 weeks.
34
35 So an alternate tree has its disadvantages. We could keep one if
36 bugzilla was streamlined. But I am using a number of ebuilds I have
37 gotten from bugzilla. Much nicer to get ones out of masking.
38
39 > What do you think? Shall we try setting up something for the task? One
40 > could always put up his/her web page with non-official ebuilds, but
41 > something to join efforts would be nicer.
42
43 I have my ebuilds on http://eread.freeshell.org/ebuilds.html. No, I am
44 not volunteering but that is a suggested format ;)
45
46 Evan.
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list