From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:28:26
1 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 >
3 > To count into the same bucket we use global identifiers for the
4 > "products" that fall out of a package. Gentoo package "dev-util/git"
5 > can produce product "cpe://a:git:git", Debian's "git-core" can, too.
6 > That string before is a CPE URI [1], a concept close to package naming
7 > in Java. This "intermediate language" allows us to relate package names
8 > from distro X with those of distro Y and answer various questions from
9 > that data.
10 >
11 > To do such mapping we need code (or a "service") that does the mapping
12 > for us and base of collected data that the service can operate on. Both
13 > of these is project "PackageMap"
16 Instead of manually populating a database wouldn't it make more sense to
17 parse this information from package metadata.xml?
18
19 Regards,
20 Petteri