From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:43:22
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Sebastian Pipping wrote:
3 >> To count into the same bucket we use global identifiers for the
4 >> "products" that fall out of a package. Gentoo package "dev-util/git"
5 >> can produce product "cpe://a:git:git", Debian's "git-core" can, too.
6 >> That string before is a CPE URI [1], a concept close to package naming
7 >> in Java. This "intermediate language" allows us to relate package names
8 >> from distro X with those of distro Y and answer various questions from
9 >> that data.
10 >>
11 >> To do such mapping we need code (or a "service") that does the mapping
12 >> for us and base of collected data that the service can operate on. Both
13 >> of these is project "PackageMap"
14 >
15 > Instead of manually populating a database wouldn't it make more sense to
16 > parse this information from package metadata.xml?
17
18 Which information exactly? Please elaborate on that.
22 Sebastian