From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:53:48
1 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >> Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 >>> To count into the same bucket we use global identifiers for the
5 >>> "products" that fall out of a package. Gentoo package "dev-util/git"
6 >>> can produce product "cpe://a:git:git", Debian's "git-core" can, too.
7 >>> That string before is a CPE URI [1], a concept close to package naming
8 >>> in Java. This "intermediate language" allows us to relate package names
9 >>> from distro X with those of distro Y and answer various questions from
10 >>> that data.
11 >>>
12 >>> To do such mapping we need code (or a "service") that does the mapping
13 >>> for us and base of collected data that the service can operate on. Both
14 >>> of these is project "PackageMap"
15 >> Instead of manually populating a database wouldn't it make more sense to
16 >> parse this information from package metadata.xml?
17 >
18 > Which information exactly? Please elaborate on that.
19 >
20 > Sebastian
23 I mean making metadata.xml the authoritative source for mapping CPE to
24 Gentoo packages. I don't want to see the situation when adding new
25 packages to the tree would need some mapping being done in an external
26 web service. We should of course try to provide as much automation as
27 possible for creating the value for metadata.xml.
28
29 Regards,
30 Petteri