From: Ben Calvert <ben@××××××××××××××.com>
To: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>
Cc: livewire@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a Stage 3 for Custom LiveCD
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:12:10
1 Sean P. Kane said:
2 > I am working on creating a Multi-OS Rescue CD (i.e. not just for
3 > rescuing a Linux system) and am doing my first very basic test build
4 > with livecd-ng. I was wondering how one builds a custom stage3 tar,
5 > other then simply untarring it and copying your own files over.
6
7 I generally roll my own in a chrooted environment on my faster servers (3x
8 Dell 2650s with distcc ) and then tar up the results. If you're doing
9 your own installs, you're not bound by what Daniel puts in the various
10 stages - mine typically have everything but the kernal compile, grub,
11 fstab, /etc/hosts, and /etc/hostname. As much as I love watching things
12 compile, I'll never go back to compiling KDE on a standalone syste :)
13
14 OTOH, If you're building a rescue cd, you don't actually need any stages
15 at all. I regularly use the latest ISO to mount ntfs volumes and fix
16 issues with them. I've never tried to mount a UFS volume, so I don't know
17 if this would work on a *BSD machine, but then those rarely need rescuing
18 anyway.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list