From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multimedia overlay
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:02:48
1 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The qting-edge overlay (the official overlay for the Gentoo Qt team) is
5 > a great success as a place to develop new ebuilds, packages, eclasses,
6 > to prepare new releases, to maintain bleeding edge stuff like live
7 > ebuilds and especially as a training ground for new recruits. I thought
8 > it would be a good idea to do something similar for our multimedia
9 > related projects, and Steve "beandog" Dibb agreed.
10 >
11 > So hereby we announce the Gentoo Multimedia overlay. It is located at
12 > http://gitorious.org/gentoo-multimedia and any developers who want to
13 > join can let us know their gitorious account name, so they can be added.
14 > Administration of the overlay will be shared among the participating
15 > Gentoo devs, so new committers can quickly be added. Any users that want
16 > commit status can get access after their work is found to be of
17 > sufficient quality. We encourage this, as the overlay is also a training
18 > ground for new contributors to Gentoo.
19 >
20 > We would like to invite anyone interested in developing and maintaining
21 > ebuilds related to multimedia in the wider sense: video, sound, tv,
22 > graphics and fonts. If you have any live ebuilds or otherwise bleeding
23 > edge packages, you can move them to the overlay for testing and shared
24 > maintenance.
25
26 Why isn't this on git.overlays.gentoo.org?
27
28 If it's not on Gentoo infrastructure, it's not "official."