From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New lists and their usage
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:41:23
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1184970024.8424.22.camel@××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Fri,
3 20 Jul 2007 15:20:24 -0700:
4
5 > gentoo-dev: This list is for technical discussion, primarily between
6 > developers, about development and development-related issues that
7 > directly affect the tree or current projects. For now, no changes are
8 > made to this list.
9
10 ++
11
12 > gentoo-dev-announce: This is the announcement list for
13 > development-related stuff. Now, there's two ideas for how to run the
14 > list, that I can think of, but I'm sure there's others.
15 >
16 > - Make the list set reply-to to gentoo-dev and automatically copy any
17 > messages from this list to gentoo-dev...
18 >
19 > - Make the list *not* set *any* reply-to, nor strip it, and allow people
20 > to use the list to announce development-related stuff from *any* list...
21 > For example, if I'm about to start a discussion on possible changes to
22 > the releases, I could send a message to gentoo-dev-announce, which will
23 > start the thread, with gentoo-releng set as the reply-to. I would be
24 > responsible for making sure the email was also sent to gentoo-releng
25 > myself.
26
27 The latter would be nice if it would work. It might if it's restricted
28 to dev posts, but the former may be necessary.
29
30 > gentoo-projects: This list is for... what exactly? I've not really
31 > figured that one out just yet. I know it is supposed to be pretty much
32 > anything that doesn't fit into gentoo-dev or another project-specific
33 > list. Am I correct here? Is this what everyone thinks this list is
34 > supposed to be used for?
35
36 My take is that if it's gentoo devel but not tech in nature, it goes
37 there by default. The short term rule of thumb could then be post it
38 there if in doubt whether it goes here or there, and if it's posted here
39 and any dev complains, it goes there, regardless. (Once the current
40 subscription snafus get worked out, I'd hope by Monday or Tuesday at the
41 latest.)
42
43 By way of example, your original thread starter could have been xposted
44 here and there, with replies sent there, until a decision had been made.
45 Once a decision was reached, it would be posted to announce and here and
46 there, all three, but the pre-decision discussion would have been there
47 save the initial xposted thread starter, keeping this list spam-free for
48 those that aren't interested. Two posts here, the original question and
49 decision announcement, likely > 10 posts, maybe 100 or more if it's
50 controversial there, kept off this list.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list