From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:24:35
1 Dnia 2014-07-27, o godz. 10:42:19
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
5 > <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On 7/21/14, 11:52 PM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
7 > >> Michał has documented the shortcomings of dynamic deps in our wiki[0].
8 > >> (Thank you!) [...]
9 > >> [0] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Dynamic_dependencies>
10 > >
11 > > There's one more thing I'd like to ask about:
12 > >
13 > > For "Minor linking change w/ dependency change (unnecessary linking
14 > > removed)" the "dynamic deps" cell is red with "revbump + mostly
15 > > unnecessary rebuild", and "static deps" says "applied after rebuild".
16 > >
17 > > Arguably with dynamic deps one could also skip the revbump, and the
18 > > update would similarly be applied after rebuild.
19 >
20 > One thing I would question in that table is "applied immediately (but
21 > can break hard when dynamic-deps stop working))." How can dynamically
22 > removing an "unused dependency" cause something to break, setting
23 > aside bugs in the package manager? If removing a dependency causes
24 > something to break, how can it be "unused?"
25
26 Consider the following:
27
28 1. A depends on B, both are installed,
29
30 2. dependency on B is removed, emerge --depclean uninstalls B thanks
31 to dynamic-deps,
32
33 3. B is treecleaned (nothing depends on it),
34
35 4. old version of A is removed (user doesn't update it yet), therefore
36 dependency on B is restored from vdb.
37
38 So, now user has package A installed which has unsatisfied dependency
39 on non-available package.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny